There are some significant differences between PRINCE2 Practitioner certification and the APMP qualification and I will endeavour to explain them here…
The Differences between – PRINCE2 Practitioner and APMP
PRINCE2 stands for PRojects IN Controlled Environments and is a Project Management Methodology. It was developed in the 1970’s and has evolved over the years to become the most widely used Project Management methodology in the UK, in both the private and public sectors.
You can gain two different PRINCE2 certifications, they are the; PRINCE2 Foundation Qualification (which proves you understand the methodology) and PRINCE2 Practitioner Qualification (which proves you can apply the methodology to real-world scenarios)
To gain the PRINCE2 qualifications you will need to sit the PRINCE2 exams. These are set by the APM Group who update and manage the methodology and syllabus.
It’s recommended that you take an accredited PRINCE2 Training course before your exam with an Accredited Training Organisation. Silicon Beach Training is an Accredited Training Organisation and run a 3-day PRINCE2 Foundation and 5-day PRINCE2 Practitioner training course which includes exams and certification. The 5-day PRINCE2 training course includes both of the exams (Foundation and Practitioner) as you need to pass the Foundation exam to be able to take the Practitioner exam.
If you would like to learn more about PRINCE2 then you can also check out the PRINCE2 Downloads for a range of resources and white-papers.
The Association for Project Managers Professional, or APMP for short, is a qualification offered by the Association for Project Managers (APM), this is a professional body which represents Project Managers.
APMP is not a Project Management Methodology, which PRINCE2 is. If you gain the APMP Qualification this proves that you understand the APM Body of Knowledge, this is a publication which covers 52 knowledge areas required to manage any successful project.
If you want to gain this qualification you have to take a 3 hour written essay-based paper which will assess how well you know the body of Knowledge. This paper can be taken at any APM accredited training provider.
Key Differences between PRINCE and APMP
- PRINCE2 is a Project Management Methodology
- APMP is not a Project Management Methodology; it is a best-practice Body of Project Management Knowledge.
Decision time – Which Project Management Qualification Should I Take?
- If you work for an organisation with the PRINCE2 Methodology already in place, you should go for PRINCE2 (obviously!)
- If you want to get a job as a Project Manager, PRINCE2 qualified candidates are much more sought after compared to APMP qualified people.
- If you want a non-methodology specific Project Management qualification which can show your abilities as a Project Manager, then APMP might be suitable.
If you are interested in finding out more about Project Management or want to take a training course then feel free to call 01273 622272 or email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Similar posts you may like:
- PRINCE 2 Exam Tips
- VIDEO: PRINCE2 vs MSP
- 5 Common Misconceptions About PRINCE2
- NEW PRINCE2 Practitioner Exam Tips Download
- How to Differentiate Between PRINCE2 Training Providers